Natural Stone Staircases – A Hallmark of Beauty
Apr 13, 2023
You might be planning to build new staircases or might be giving your existing staircases a makeover. Whatever you plan to do, you must make sure you use the best materials for your staircases. Quality materials will bring durability, robustness, and a pleasing look to your space. However, when considering these factors for your room, natural stone staircases are unmatched and can provide a lovely touch to your area. They are long-lasting, strong, and give a natural feel to your area.
In this article, you can find different types of natural stones that you can use for your space. So, if you are constructing new stairs or renovating existing ones, you can choose from various natural stones. Also included are some suggestions for caring for your stone stairs.
5 Best Natural Stone Staircases
Below you can find the best natural stones for stairs that will make your space stand out from the rest.
A fantastic option for a staircase is sandstone. You can consider this stone the best stone for stairs. Sandstone steps have the unique quality of continually eroding throughout time, revealing a fresh appearance, and because of this, it can give any staircase an amazingly rough appearance. Thanks to the sandstone floor tiles’ organic graining, veining, and earthy texture, you’ll feel as though you’re walking on the beach.
Sandstone is naturally porous. Before being used for the building of staircases, it must be adequately sealed. Once sealed, it can withstand heat, water, and wind for a long time.
The water bodies’ beds are where limestone is found. You might be aware that it contains both biological and inorganic material that has been preserved. This characteristic contributes to its velvety feel, which is uncommon in other natural stones. This natural stone is resistant to extreme summer and winter weather, making it the best material for staircases.
The stunning hues of limestone include black, brown, blue, and yellow. Even after years of sun exposure, the colours never deteriorate. Limestones are the best choice for places with heavy usage because they require less maintenance.
The most popular choice of natural stone staircases is marble. This natural stone adds a creative touch to your space. It comes with various finishes and colours, including green, white, black, and red. Talking about durability and hardness, marble is often compared to granite. This natural stone can be slippery if there is water on the surface.
Slate is another popular choice of natural stone stairs. A durable and heavy stone that can be easily installed. With a wide range of colours, this natural stone will revamp your staircase’s look. Slate is fire-resistant, energy-efficient, and hard but can break easily. It also absorbs moisture, which is why many people utilise this natural stone in the interiors of their homes.
How to Clean & Maintain Natural Stone Staircases
Once you have installed natural stone staircases in your space, you must maintain and clean them regularly. There are some essential tips that you need to keep in mind while cleaning the stairs. We’ve discussed those crucial tips below.
- Apply a chemical paver sealant to your staircase before stepping onto it that serves as a protective shield. It permeates the stone and acts as a barrier of defence that wards off stains and enhances the overall patina that forms as the stone is utilised. Two coats of the sealer are used to assure durability and long-lasting protection.
- It is recommended to use high-quality sealers that maintain the shiny surface of the stones and, at the same time, are slip-resistant. However, if you have installed granite and marble, the surface might be slippery when coming in contact with water.
- It’s essential to clean the staircase regularly to avoid any tough stains. First, clear all the dirt and sand from the stone. Then clean the surface with soapy water. Once you are done, rinse with clean water.
- You should use the suitable cleaner regularly to avoid damaging the surface of the stone and the protective sealer.
- Whether you have installed Black Limestone, Granite, Marble, or any other natural stone, cleaning and maintaining them regularly is essential. Otherwise, you might end up ruining the surface of the stone.
Natural stone staircases provide your space with a robust, durable, and aesthetically pleasing look. However, you must maintain and clean the stone stairs regularly to avoid any damage on the surface.